A son of German immigrants, Fred M. Kemp graduated from Soldan High School, enlisted in the Navy, and then later graduated from the Washington University School of Architecture in 1950. After working for other builders in St. Louis, he formed what was to eventually become Kemp Homes in 1954.
Beginning with a few homes in Webster Groves, Mr. Kemp emphasized progressive architectural design and went on to build some 10,000 homes in the St. Louis area. He was President of the St. Louis Homebuilders Association in 1966. Mr. Kemp has also built apartments and commercial buildings.
Mr. Kemp was also known for playing jazz piano.
An avid Mercedes automobile collector, Mr. Kemp has assembled one of the world’s largest Mercedes collections and formed the Fred M. Kemp Foundation, a not-for-profit corporation that has created the Kemp Auto Museum.